Many of us take a shower first thing in the morning in order to wake up or take one last thing at night before going to bed, allowing the soothing water to wash over our bodies, taking the stress of the day with it. But choosing the best shower head could be a problem, as there are so many different varieties around.
Well, the good news is that we have tried and tested a large variety of the best shower heads around, and listed some shower head reviews to get you started.
Best Shower Head Reviews – Top 24 Pick on The Market
- 1 Best Shower Head Reviews – Top 24 Pick on The Market
- 1.1 7 Best Handheld Shower Heads
- 1.1.1 1. Hydroluxe Full-Chrome 24 Function 3-way 2 in 1 Shower Head, Handheld Shower
- 1.1.2 2. Culligan Hand Held Filtered Shower Head with Massage
- 1.1.3 3. Vida Alegría Handheld Shower Head
- 1.1.4 4. Ana Bath 5 Function Handheld Shower and Shower head
- 1.1.5 5. Moen 6 Function Head Handshower Showerhead
- 1.1.6 6. Delta Faucet H2O Kinetic Technology In2ition Hand Shower Head
- 1.1.7 7. Hansgrohe Raindance Air 3Jet Handshower
- 1.2 6 Best Rain Shower Heads
- 1.2.1 8. H2oVibe Rain Showerhead Jet with Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- 1.2.2 9. Moen Velocity 2 Function Rainshower Showerhead with Immersion Technology
- 1.2.3 10. Hansgrohe Raindance Downpour AIR Shower head
- 1.2.4 11. KOHLER Contemporary Round Rain Showerhead
- 1.2.5 12. Delta Universal Showering Components, Touch-Clean Raincan Showerhead Assembly
- 1.2.6 13. Blue Ocean Aluminum Shower Panel Tower Rainfall Shower Head
- 1.3 3 Best Low Flow Shower Heads
- 1.4 3 Best High Pressure Shower Heads
- 1.5 17. Shower Head 6 Function, Wall Mount, Adjustable Showerhead – Indoor & Outdoor Bath Spa
- 1.6 5 Best LED Shower Heads
- 1.6.1 20. Fitiger 7 Color Changing Rainfall Square LED Top Shower Head
- 1.6.2 21. DreamSpa All Chrome Water Temperature Controlled Color Changing 5-Setting LED
- 1.6.3 22. Luminex PowerSpa 7 Color 24 Setting LED Shower Head
- 1.6.4 23. HotelSpa 7 setting LED Hand Shower
- 1.6.5 24. ELLO & ALLO Rainfall Shower Head, Shower Panel Tower LED, 5 Function Faucet Rain
- 1.1 7 Best Handheld Shower Heads
- 2 The Different Types of Showers Available
- 3 Understanding the Different Types of Shower Heads
- 4 Shower Head Buyers’ Guide
- 5 What are the Advantages of a Shower Versus a Bathtub?
- 6 How to Clean Your Showerhead
- 7 How to Improve the Water Pressure of Your Shower Head?
- 8 Shower Head FAQs
- 9 Conclusion
There are so many different shower heads available in stores, that making a decision as to which is the best shower head for you is a daunting task. Our shower head reviews take a look at a number of shower heads for your perusal and hope it helps you make the right choice for you.
7 Best Handheld Shower Heads
1. Hydroluxe Full-Chrome 24 Function 3-way 2 in 1 Shower Head, Handheld Shower
A shower system combination that can have you either buy each shower separately or together at the same time. The all chrome shower system has twenty-four water flow patterns, ensuring you get the perfect shower at any given time. Plus, if buying both together, you have a ‘standard’ shower with the benefits of a hand shower to boot.
- Both showers have five settings – power rain, massage, water-saving economy rain, stay warm mist, and a pause function.
- It comes with an angle-adjustable overhead bracket attachment.
- The hand shower has a 5-foot flexible stainless steel hose.
- You don’t need tools for installation.
- The 4-inch chrome face has a 3-zone click lever dial and rub-clean
- The 3-way water diverter has an anti-swivel lock nut.
2. Culligan Hand Held Filtered Shower Head with Massage
An NSF International certified against NSF/ANSI Standard 177 for the reduction of free available chlorine in water, this hand shower is a winner. Each cartridge lasts for up to six months before needing replacement, giving you the assurance your family gets a chlorine reduction of up to 97% while taking a shower. This protects both your skin and hair from the harmful effects of chlorine.
- Easy installation without the need of tools.
- A shower head that has anti-clog rubber spray nozzles.
- Five spray settings.
- A filter cartridge that is included and may filter not only chlorine but also scale while getting rid of any sulfur odors in the process.
- A filter media bacteriostatic that limits the growth and passage of bacteria.
- Water temperature ranging from 40 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Vida Alegría Handheld Shower Head
Easy to install, the Vida Alegria has a flexible stainless steel hose that stretches anything from five to seven feet, making cleaning your bath a breeze. Additionally, the hi-tech AVS face not only repels hard water, keeping it clean, but has a stay-put holder as well. This means no twists in the hose.
- A two-part removable flow restrictor.
- 5+ spray modes that are easy to adjust with one hand only, i.e. drenching rain, gentle rinse, full rotation massage, two mix modes, and a drizzle mode.
4. Ana Bath 5 Function Handheld Shower and Shower head
It is easy to upgrade your current shower with the Anna Bath SS5450CBN. No tools are necessary! Add to this the unique water saving technology incorporated into the design, and you are guaranteed a massive cut on your utility bill.
- A large, 5-inch wide shower head sees the spray covering a larger than normal area.
- A 60-inch hose and 2.31 GPM flow rate.
- A burnished nickel finish.
- A 3-way diverter where you turn water to handheld shower, stationary shower head, or both.
- Electroplated brush nickel finish.
- A five function shower head – saturating spray, massage spray, massage saturating mix, bubbling spray, and bubbling saturating mix.
5. Moen 6 Function Head Handshower Showerhead
Nature inspired, the six-function combination spray allows for easy use while the spot resist brushed nickel finish is fingerprint and water spot resistant, ensuring a clean look at all times.
- Easy release and return with a magnetic docking system.
- Six optimized settings at the push of a button.
- A 5-inch diameter spray head.
- A kink-free metal hose.
6. Delta Faucet H2O Kinetic Technology In2ition Hand Shower Head
The product allows you to use the hand shower as well as the regular shower head either at the same time or separately. The K2Okinetic technology gives you the feeling that you are using more water while in fact, you use less.
- A delta magnetite docking function keeps your hand shower in position.
- Very easy to install.
- The pause button allows a trickle of water, making it great for shaving.
- The four different spray settings include H2O kinetic, kinetic with massage, massage, and pause.
7. Hansgrohe Raindance Air 3Jet Handshower
The organic fusion of air and water enhances your shower experience. Simple to install, the hand shower combines air and water, giving a great, invigorating showering experience.
- 5-gallon water flow per minute.
- Hand shower has three functions: full, massage, and intense.
- A durable chrome finish.
- It has a rotating control lever ensuring easy operation.
6 Best Rain Shower Heads
8. H2oVibe Rain Showerhead Jet with Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
The H2o Vibe Rain Showerhead has all the perks. You get the benefit of a great, powerful shower while singing to your favorite song or pressing a button to answer a call.
- An ultra-wide shower head.
- Enhanced noise reduction.
- A dual microphone.
- A push button so you can talk on your phone while in the shower.
- Great sound that connects (wirelessly) to a distance of up to 33 feet.
- Fast, easy installation.
9. Moen Velocity 2 Function Rainshower Showerhead with Immersion Technology
Incorporating immersion technology, the Moen Velocity shower head provides an innovative system that gives you three times the spraying power than you have with most rain showers.
- An eight-inch shower head that gives wide coverage.
- Increased spray power due to immersion technology.
- An adjustable water flow allows easy switching between concentrated and rinse
- A shiny chrome finish.
10. Hansgrohe Raindance Downpour AIR Shower head
The large showerhead adds to your shower experience, while the air enriched droplets give you skin a great cleaning, leaving it soft and radiant.
- A large 0,375-inch shower head.
- A fully chrome-plated spray disc.
- The product has a quick cleaning, anti-calcification function minimizing limescale deposits.
- Water is enriched by means of air power
- A water flow rate of 2.5 GPM.
11. KOHLER Contemporary Round Rain Showerhead
Boasting Kohler excellence, the shower head gives a great spray performance, while the spray face design creates a denser, more uniform spray pattern that gives a consistent coverage.
- A great, low-profile contemporary design.
- An optimized spray face that creates a uniform spray pattern.
- A spray face and nozzle that resists mineral buildup.
- A flow rate of 2,5 gallons of water per minute.
12. Delta Universal Showering Components, Touch-Clean Raincan Showerhead Assembly
A great statement piece that does its job well.
- A water flow of 2.5 gallons per minute.
- The product boasts a 5-inch spray face.
- A showerhead length of 2.5 inches.
- Soft rubber spray holes allowing for easy cleaning.
- 180-degree high-arc spout swivels.
13. Blue Ocean Aluminum Shower Panel Tower Rainfall Shower Head
This is luxury redefined. The product complies with the ISO-911 standard, and the body of the shower panel is made of a high-quality aluminum alloy. It sports various luxurious features, ensuring a memorable shower experience.
- Eight different adjustable nozzles.
- A rainfall showerhead as well as a handheld shower head.
- A tub spout.
- Functions that work independently.
- Two controllers that control all functions as well as water temperature.
- A chrome plated shower hose.
- Standard plumbing connections.
- Easy to install.
3 Best Low Flow Shower Heads
14. High Sierra High Efficiency Low Flow Shower Head
Classified as a GREEN shower head, the High Sierra shower head gives the impression of having much stronger flowing water while actually saving you money in both water and electricity. The compact design of this product makes it great for where space is of the essence, e.g. in apartments and schools.
- Metal construction with a highly polished chrome finish.
- A 1.5 GPM
- A uniquely compact design.
- A cost effective shower solution.
15. Delta Single-Function Shower Head with H2Okinetic Technology
A product that meets all specifications, replacement parts are easily obtainable on this product, while the stringent testing gives the buyer an air of confidence that he is getting a quality product. The waterwise Delta is a user-friendly K2O Kinetics showerhead with a great contemporary design.
- Dual flow settings.
- A volume control lever on the showerhead.
- ensures a 36% water savings per shower.
- Operates at either 2.5 or 1.85 gallons per minute.
16. American Standard Flowise 3 Function Water Saving Shower head
The unique transitional function showerhead saves you water, energy, and, of course, money, while it gives you a great shower to boot.
- The turbine technology sees pressurized water dispersing from the showerhead, resulting in an even, energized and refreshing water flow.
- The showerhead has three functions – turbine spray, full spray, and combination spray.
- A fully adjustable spray angle that can easily adapt to your height.
3 Best High Pressure Shower Heads
17. Shower Head 6 Function, Wall Mount, Adjustable Showerhead – Indoor & Outdoor Bath Spa
Sturdy and easy to install, each showerhead needs to pass stringent quality assessments, ensuring an installation perfect product. The easy twist on installation and different spray modes make showering a pleasure.
- There are six different settings, namely, saturating power blast, pulsating massage, gentle rain, water savings, and two mixed modes.
- There is a removable restrictor so you can increase your water pressure when you wish to.
- The nozzle is self-cleaning and prevents a build-up of calcium.
18. Speakman High Pressure Adjustable Solid Brass Shower Head
The icon has a timeless silhouette and is built entirely of brass. The six plungers give you a multitude of sprays, making it adjustable to suit your specific needs.
- A solid brass construction.
- Six adjustable jets giving you 48 different spray settings.
- A 2.5 GPM
- It fits standard US plumbing.
- Self-cleaning nozzles.
19. WantBa 57Jets Massage Rainfall Wall Mount Shower Head Powerful
Easy to install, imminently adjustable, and a consistent powerful spray performance, the WantaBa is a hotel-quality shower that ticks all the boxes.
- A six-inch wide shower head face.
- 57 jets that ensure broad coverage.
- A metal swivel ball that allows for easy adjustment of angles.
- A rubber, self-cleaning nozzle.
- A consistent, powerful spray even under low water pressure conditions.
- A polished chrome finish.
5 Best LED Shower Heads
20. Fitiger 7 Color Changing Rainfall Square LED Top Shower Head
A fun way to start or end the day, the changing colors while showering relaxing, getting your ready for what lays ahead. The elegant design and finish of the product sees your water transferred into a waterfall of brilliant, ever-changing colors.
- A small, built-in electric power generator that turns off when you turn on the water and turns off when you shut the water off.
- An operating voltage of less than six volts.
- Light activation as soon as the water is turned on.
21. DreamSpa All Chrome Water Temperature Controlled Color Changing 5-Setting LED
Installation of this product is a breeze – it connects to any standard plumbing without the need for any tools. The color settings are dependent on water temperature and do not reflect a color spectrum.
- LED lights that are powered by running water.
- Five shower settings: power rain, pulsating massage, hydro-mist, economy rain, and water savings pause.
- Easy to clean jets.
- The product has a click action lever.
- Three color changing water temperature sensor allows LED lights to change color according to heat, i.e. Blue = cool, green = warm, red = hot, and flashing red = temperature is very hot.
- The shower head has five different angle settings.
22. Luminex PowerSpa 7 Color 24 Setting LED Shower Head
An overhead and hand-held shower duo with LED lights powered by running water makes this system a winner in all respects.
- 24 settings
- No batteries needed as LED lights are powered by running water.
- Seven colors changing automatically.
- Both shower heads have an air jet designs that maximizes water pressure
- Showerheads have 4-inch faces with four different settings: rain, massage, rain with massage, and water-saving pause mode.
- They are both adjustable with regards to different angles.
- Hand shower has a five-foot stainless steel hose.
23. HotelSpa 7 setting LED Hand Shower
For those who want the hand shower/fixed shower experience in one, the product can be used as either a hand-held or overhead shower by installing a bracket that allows you to do so. It is a quick and easy installation.
- Seven different settings, including power rain, pulsating massage, hydrating mist, mist/massage, rain/mist, economy rain, and pause.
- A color changing temperature sensor.
- Powered by running water negating the need for batteries.
- A 3-zone spiralflo
- Rub clean jets.
- An angle-adjustable overhead bracket.
- Flexible stainless steel
- Installation needs no tools.
24. ELLO & ALLO Rainfall Shower Head, Shower Panel Tower LED, 5 Function Faucet Rain
The shower panel is constructed of high-quality stainless steel and has an attractive brush finish. The many functions of this particular shower allow you to immerse yourself in the shower experience, while the great design enhances any bathroom.
- A rainfall waterfall shower head.
- A bidet sprayer.
- A handheld shower with three different settings.
- LED mood lights and LED control switch.
- A shower shelf that can easily be used as a towel bar.
- Body massage jets give that added spa feel.
The Different Types of Showers Available
Essentially, we find five main different shower types, each having their own function, pros and cons attached.
Digital showers are probably the most modern type of shower and gaining in popularity. One of the main reasons for this is that you have absolute control of your heat settings, ensuring a shower at your preferred heat with the minimum of fuss. These showers, depending on the model, also have multiple program functions, adding to their allure.
Electric showers are probably the most common choice for most homeowners. It is a system whereby cold water is drawn into the unit and heated by means of running over an element. This means, essentially, that you never run the risk of running out of hot water, as hot water is made on demand.
You can read my article reviews about: The Top Electric Shower Brands to Check Out in the Market
Mixer showers use both hot and cold water, pushing it through the shower head at the same time. You thus need to determine your water temperature manually by manipulating your water outlets.
A power shower is usually used in areas where the water flow is very low. These showers have a built in pump, that forces water through the shower head at a high pressure. They draw and pump out both hot and cold water.
Eco showers are designed to use less water by means of aeration. Air is aerated when it is pumped through the shower flow.
Understanding the Different Types of Shower Heads
Besides the type of shower, your showerhead plays an important role in your bathroom experience, and the choices are many and varied, as are your choices of shower doors or when installing your shower in the best bathtubs around. And while we are at it, let’s not forget the myriad shower enclosures available to pick from. Your bathroom experience is the start, or end, of a long day. Going that extra mile to ensure it is a pleasurable one is something you owe to yourself.
- Single Spray Shower Head
A single spray shower head is most probably your most basic type of shower head available on the market. The setting is fixed, and not adjustable.
- Low Flow Shower Head
A water-wise option, the best low flow shower heads uses two gallons or less water per minute while saving on energy as well. Although a fixed spray most of the time, you do get an aerating option.
- High-Pressure Shower Head
A poor shower experience is usually due to a low water flow. The best high-pressure shower heads on the market maximize your water flow, giving you a power spray and great showering experience.
- Ceiling Shower Head
Whereas conventional showerheads are wall-mounted or hand-held, a ceiling shower head is mounted directly overhead. This allows for a wider coverage, with the advantage that you do not need to adjust your body in order to get maximum coverage. It also allows for a more rain-like spray and feel to your showering experience.
- Rain Shower Head
The best rain shower heads are designed in such a way that they give you the experience of showering in the rain. Many have multiple settings. This allows you to choose one that suits you, ranging from a light drizzle to a more constant, steady downpour. These showerheads are available is many different shapes and made of a variety of materials.
- Multiple or Dual Shower Heads
Multiple or dual shower heads is a system whereby two (or more) shower heads are positioned at different angles, giving you an invigorating blast of water from different sides. These systems are perfect for when showering with someone else, or when you want a perfect home spa experience.
- Sliding Bar Shower Head
A sliding bar shower head is perfect for when you have a walk in tub. The shower head is mounted on a bar, allowing you to adjust the height according to your specific needs. It is thus the perfect solution for those who are in a wheelchair or the elderly who prefer to sit on a chair while bathing due to limited movement ability.
- Handheld Shower Head
A handheld shower head attaches to your shower or bath taps via a hose. It is perfect for ‘spot’ cleaning, as a shower (getting to all the places that need getting to), or for use with a baby bathtub.
- LED Shower Head
LED shower heads have many of the same characteristics as other showers, i.e. you could opt for a rain shower head or even a dual shower head if you wish. What makes them unique, however, is that they have LEDs built into them. When water moves over a little turbine within the shower head, the water temperature actually makes the LEDs change color, showing a different color for cold, hot, or moderate water temperatures. Other LED showerheads, however, display a variety of different colors, a phenomenon known as mood lighting. So, deciding on which option appeals to you the most will help you pick the best LED shower head for your needs.
- Bluetooth Shower Heads
A Bluetooth shower head has a Bluetooth and speaker fitted into the shower head. This gives you hours of showering pleasure while listening to your favorite music at the same time.
- Shower Filter
You might wonder whether you need a shower filter. Well, strictly speaking, you do not, but it has a number of benefits. For example, regular tap water is filled with chemicals, e.g. chlorine and fluoride. The thing is, many people are allergic to some of the chemicals found in tap water, yet are constantly bombarded with it in their drinking water. Of course, you can opt for bottled water, but you are still exposed when taking a bath or a shower.
A shower filter, on the other hand, removes the problem safely and may be a great option for your shower head.
Shower Head Buyers’ Guide
While buying a shower is subjective, depending on what it is you want, there are a couple of things one needs to keep in mind before purchasing:
What are the Advantages of a Shower Versus a Bathtub?
While there is nothing that beats a long soak in the bathtub at the end of the day to soothe aching muscles and relax, a shower does tick certain boxes that a bath just cannot do.
The advantages of a shower:
- 1. Space
In today’s homes, space is a factor, or at least, lack of it. A standard bathtub takes up a much larger floor space than a standard shower. This allows you to fit in so much more into your bathroom. Additionally, doing away with a soaking tub frees up space that allows you to fit in a spa-like shower or even a steam shower.
- 2. Energy efficiency and water consumption
With the cost of utilities rising, taking a shower compared to taking a bath is worthwhile when it comes to your pocket. Taking a shower uses much less water and consumes much less electricity than taking a bath. Of course, if you like standing under a shower, letting the water flow over you for an extended period, a bath might be a better option, although the water tends to cool down after a while.
- 3. It gives easy accessibility
Climbing into, or out of, a bathtub tends to get more difficult as we get older and become less mobile. It is also difficult for those who have limited mobility due to illness or a health condition. In such cases, a shower is a better option as it is easy to access while adding rails to hold onto is relatively easy to do. It also allows less mobile people more independence, as they are easier able to enter or leave the shower cubicle while they may need help when a bathtub is concerned.
You can, of course, decide to have the best of two worlds and opt for a handheld showerhead. Most of the best handheld showerheads allow you to fix them to the wall, allowing you to take a shower while standing in a bathtub.
The negative aspect of a shower:
- 1. It may influence your home’s resale value
While most homebuyers love having the convenience of a shower in their prospective new home, they do tend to also want a bathtub. It is thus best to ensure that your home has at least one bathtub to overcome this problem at the time of resale.
- 2. Depending on certain factors, taking a bath may be cheaper
There are two things that influence the water usage of a shower. These are the duration of the shower, and your water flow rate. Although most showerheads are compliant with the standards set by the US regarding flow rate, some showerheads to not comply and exceed the maximum limit. This means, depending on how long you shower, you may use much more water taking a shower than you would taking a bath.
Initiatives to promote energy conservation have also played a role in determining shower flow rates. This was an attempt to reduce the use of electricity and natural gas when heating water for washing purposes. Exceeding a maximum of 8.2 minutes per shower, and using non-compliant showerheads, increases your consumption of either electricity or gas, causing a marked increase in your utility bill.
In such cases, and taking into consideration that modern bathtubs have a tendency to be smaller and shallower than their predecessors, taking a shallow bath may just be a more viable option than taking a shower.
There is only one negative aspect to installing a shower, and that is when it comes to the resale value of your home. While most homebuyers love having the convenience of a shower in their prospective new home, they do tend to also want a bathtub. It is thus best to ensure that your home has at least one bathtub to overcome this problem at the time of resale.
How to Clean Your Showerhead
A showerhead often stops spraying correctly. This is usually due to a buildup of minerals in the holes. Cleaning these holes out, however, usually solves the problem, but most of us find that cleaning out each hole individually takes too much time.
Clean your shower head easily using the following method:
Sometimes, however, you need a little extra to get the job done.
You know how a regular shower cleaner is harsh on your hands? Make your own! Mix equal parts dishwashing detergent and warm vinegar in a bottle. Then spray on your shower’s surface area, wait a minute or two, and wipe off. It gets rid of soap scum quickly and effectively1
How to Improve the Water Pressure of Your Shower Head?
Even if your bathroom faucets have great water pressure it does not necessarily mean that your shower head has the same. Water usually needs to travel upwards quite a distance to reach the shower head, and this can make the water pressure much weaker.
There are, however, a few things you can either check or do to make your showering experience a better one!
- 1. Check your water volume
Check the gate valve feeding into your property. Is it entirely open? If not, open it, and see the difference in water pressure!
- 2. Is your showerhead clean?
In many cases, lower water pressure is due to a dirty, clogged shower head. Follow the directions to ensure a clean shower head.
- 3. Get rid of the flow restrictor
Many shower heads have a flow restrictor that is built into them. This is usually a small white plastic disc with holes in it. Open your shower head and remove the flow restrictor. This should result in a much better flow of water while showering.
- 4. Consider a different shower head
An amplifying shower head is perfect for those living in areas with constant low water pressure. This type of shower head conserves water while increasing water velocity, resulting in a perfect, high-pressure showering experience.
Shower Head FAQs
- What functionality could a smart shower head provide that a normal shower head does not?
A smart shower head is designed to conserve water and reduce electricity consumption while giving you a great showering experience.
- How do LED shower heads work?
And LED shower head looks like a normal shower but has LED lights that light up when you use the shower. The color usually turns blue when the water gets too cold, or red when too hot. This type of shower does not have a battery. Instead, it has a little dynamo engine that is powered by the flow of the water that causes the lights to go on.
- What is the difference between taking a shower and taking a bath?
The obvious difference is that a bath has you sitting in water while a shower has you standing under running water. When bathing, any dirt coming from your body tends to float in the water around you. Showering, on the other hand, has all dirt from your body running off you and down into the drain.
At the end of the day, the best shower head for you needs to be the one that ticks all your personal boxes. However, for us, the clear winner was in the luxury department, i.e. the ELLO&ALLO Stainless Steel Shower Panel Tower System LED Rainfall Waterfall Shower Head 5-Function Faucet Rain Massage System. It checks every single box and a few more. Now, the only question is, how do I get to incorporate a designated shower space in a tiny, compact bathroom to install it?