To most people, soaking up in an inflatable hot tub is the highlight of their day because they can relax after a long day of work. However, one of the most common problems that people encounter when they take a dip in their hot tub would be the spa foaming problems. This happens when unhealthy foam builds up on the surface of the water and makes it thick and dirty. Thus, it’s very important to use the best hot tub defoamer to make your hot tub 100% foam-free and germ-free.
What Is a Hot Tub Defoamer
- 1 What Is a Hot Tub Defoamer
- 2 What Are The Advantages of Using a Hot Tub Defoamer
- 3 Types of Defoamers
- 4 How to Choose a Hot Tub Defoamer
- 5 Hot Tub Defoamer Products Review
- 5.1 Hot Tub Things- Spa Defoamer 16 Oz
- 5.2 Leisure Time- 2 x 16 oz HQ Spa Foam Down
- 5.3 Spa Essentials- Defoamer for Spas and Hot Tubs, 1-Pint
- 5.4 EcoClean Solutions- Anti-Foam Defoamer Concentrate – 1 Gallon
- 5.5 Arch Chemical- HTH 86216 Spa Defoamer, 1-Pint
- 5.6 SpaChoice- 2-Pack Spa Foam Free hot tub defoamer 2 x 16 oz. bottles
- 5.7 In The Swim- Spa and Hot Tub Defoamer
- 5.8 Natural Chemistry- Spa Defoamer with Flip Top, 16.9 Ounce
- 6 Conclusion
Most people would ask themselves why do some hot tubs get foamy? The answer lies in the chemicals and dirt that stick to the water after it is used. If you want to know how to get rid of hot tub foam, as well as how to prevent hot tub foam effectively, then this article is for you.
A hot tub defoamer is an anti foaming chemical that prevents the formation of foam in water. There are various kinds of defoamers such as oil types, silicones, alcohols, and glycols. We will further discuss some of the common types later in the succeeding sections. What it does is that it reduces the tension in the water that the foam creates. This, in turn, would dissipate the foam and make the water clearer and thinner.
What Are The Advantages of Using a Hot Tub Defoamer
- It makes the water clearer. Since foam is one of the main reasons as to why the water is turning murky, then using the best hot tub defoamer can actually clear the water by dissolving the foam.
- It eliminates the foam build-up in the water. Aside from dissipating foam, it can also prevent foam from building up by staying in the water for a while and balancing out the chemicals in the water.
- It makes the water less thick and gooey, which is caused by the foam. The foam in the water makes the water thick and dirty looking, so if you use the defoamer to take out the foam, the water will be less thick.
- To a certain extent, it cleans the pool from the chemicals that create the foam. The foam buildup is usually due to the chemical buildup that is, in fact, quite harmful to your body. By cleaning up the foam, you are actually getting rid of the chemicals as well.
- It dissipates the dirt and the other unwanted materials that build up foam in the water. Aside from the chemicals, it also cleans away dirt and other unwanted components that contribute to the foam build-up.
Types of Defoamers
The following the different types of hot tub defoamers:
The oil based defoamers make use of oil such as vegetable oil or mineral oil in order to dissolve the foam. It is insoluble in foam and can clear the foam from the water. Because it contains a bit of wax, the performance is more effective. This type of defoamer may even prevent further spread of the foam. This is the type that is often used in pools.
Unlike the oil based defoamers, the water based ones use water to carry the oils and waxes found in the defoamer. There are also oils like vegetable oils in water based defoamers, but the oils are not the carriers, unlike the oil based ones.
Powder defoamers are a bit similar in principle to the oil based defoamers with regard to the content. The only difference would be that powder defoamers are in powdered form. They would often be added into detergents and other liquid cleaners, which can then be added in the water to dissipate the foam.
The silicone based defoamers are made of hydrophobic silica, which dissolves into silicone oil. Because of its content, it is known as an emulsifier that is added to the water so that it can spread the silicone and dissipate the foam very easily. The defoamer may also include other silicone liquids like silicone glycol and others.
Read my article “How to Use Hot Tub Chemicals and The Tips in Choosing the Best Brands” to find the right chemical for your Hot Tub & Spa.
How to Choose a Hot Tub Defoamer
When buying the best hot tub defoamer for your hot tub, there are a few things that you have to consider when making your purchase. Here are the factors to take note of:
Type: The types of defoamers were mentioned above. So, if you want to buy a defoamer, then you may choose which type is the best for you.
Alcohol Volume: The alcohol volume is extremely important to take note of because the amount of alcohol will affect the chemistry of the water. If the alcohol level is too high, then the water might get affected.
pH Effect: In relation to this, you must also know how the defoamer that you want to buy affects the pH level. Some defoamers increase ph level while others decrease it. Find one that doesn’t have too much impact on the ph levels because defoamers can have will certainly affect the water even if you use the best hot tub chemicals and hot tub cleaners.
Alkalinity Effect: Just like the pH level, the alkalinity levels may also be affected by the defoamer. Again, find the one that does not affect the alkalinity too much.
Price: Lastly, you have to consider the price of the defoamer. Surely, you don’t want to buy one that is out of your budget. Choose the one that is in your budget but performs the job well.
Hot Tub Defoamer Products Review
Hot Tub Things- Spa Defoamer 16 Oz
This hot tub defoamer is a premier product that is of high-quality and affordable. It can quickly remove the foam from the hot tub water right away.
Leisure Time- 2 x 16 oz HQ Spa Foam Down
This defoamer brand is known for its concentrated defoamer mix, which is designed for hot water. It is also non-oily and can work in any type of water. It is also compatible with other chemicals like chlorine or bromine.
Spa Essentials- Defoamer for Spas and Hot Tubs, 1-Pint
It is known for quickly getting rid of foaming in spa water. It comes with a 1-pint bottle for the hot tub.
EcoClean Solutions- Anti-Foam Defoamer Concentrate – 1 Gallon
This brand is a very concentrated water based silicone type that takes out foam immediately and effectively without leaving behind any oil.
Arch Chemical- HTH 86216 Spa Defoamer, 1-Pint
This brand of defoamer comes in one pint and has vitamin E, which is good for the skin. It has an active ingredient of dimethicone.
SpaChoice- 2-Pack Spa Foam Free hot tub defoamer 2 x 16 oz. bottles
This 2-pack spa defoamer is one of the best ones in the market which can even prevent new foam from developing. It is very concentrated and can work with all the sanitizers.
In The Swim- Spa and Hot Tub Defoamer
This brand has a special oil-free silicone formula that is very effective in removing the foam without leaving any oil. It is also good for all sanitizer systems.
Natural Chemistry- Spa Defoamer with Flip Top, 16.9 Ounce
The natural chemistry is known for being able to perfectly control and prevent foaming. It is compatible with all the spa sanitizers and is known to be non-toxic, unlike most brands. It is great for hot water and can balance chemistry.
In the lineup, the clear winner of the choices and the best hot tub defoamer would be the In The Swim- Spa and Hot Tub Defoamer. This is because it is an effective oil-free silicone type that doesn’t leave residue and can easily dissolve foam and prevent it from developing. It is also very concentrated, which means you don’t need to use so much. It is also safe to use with the sanitizers and filters of all the best hot tubs in the market.
By comparing all of the brands, it is possible to get the best one by knowing the pros and cons. This is a very important part in choosing the product that you want because a comparison will help you narrow down the best one that suits your preference.