There is a dramatic increase in the popularity of saunas over the years due to the many health benefits linked with its use. Some of the most common types of saunas available in the market today are the traditional wood burning, the electrically heated, the smoke sauna, steam room, and the infrared sauna. One of the newest types is the infrared sauna. Unlike other modern sauna products such as the sauna suit and sauna belt, the infrared sauna has been proven to work better than if not as good as traditional saunas.
How does an infrared sauna work?
An infrared sauna is a type of sauna made from cedar timber that has suitable thermal properties and resistance to moisture absorption. Using electromagnetic radiation, infrared heaters warm the body normally, in the same manner as natural sunlight. The mechanism may sound toxic but it is actually safe. The same mechanism is used in neonatal beds and incubators to keep babies warm without being stifled.
Unlike the traditional sauna, which raises the temperature of the air within the chamber to a high level to warm the body, infrared heater penetrates deeply into the tissues causing the body to develop a more vigorous sweat at a lower temperature and in a more comfortable ambient. This makes the infrared sauna more appealing than the other types of saunas.
What Infrared Sauna Sessions Can Do For You
With the tremendous health and wellness benefits, the infrared sauna is considered as one of the best portable saunas. Some of the known benefits of using it are the following:
- 1. Detoxification and skin purification
Detoxification is good for the body and it happens when the body sweats. The infrared sauna causes a rise in the core temperature by heating the body directly resulting to a good amount of sweat. Sweating is a great way to get rid of unwanted toxins and purify the skin. Infrared sauna also stimulates collagen production that helps reduce wrinkles and improves skin tone resulting in clearer, softer, and healthier skin.
- 2. Weight Loss
In relation to detoxification, infrared saunas also promote weight loss. The heat causes profuse sweating that will make the body lose a considerable amount of fluid causing the weight loss. One session can burn an estimated amount of more than 600 calories.
- 3. Relaxation and pain relief
A fully refreshed feeling after each infrared sauna session is a guarantee. It is a gentle and soothing therapy that promotes relaxation. It is also effective for pain relief as the heat penetrates the tissues, joints, and muscles to relieve minor pains and muscle spasms.
To find more way to Relieve Aches and Pains you can read: Reviews of the Best Foot Massager, Plus Astounding Benefits!
- 4. Improved circulation and wound healing
Similar with an exercise, heating the muscle with infrared sauna increases and improves blood flow. It also promotes faster cell regeneration and tissue growth that helps in wound healing.
- 5. Possible treatment of certain health conditions
There are several studies that investigate the use of the best infrared sauna in the treatment of chronic health conditions such as high blood pressure and arthritis. They have found positive effects and reported no adverse effects.
You can read more: Benefits Of Infrared Saunas
Kinds of Infrared Sauna Treatment
There are different levels of infrared sauna treatment available. Levels are based on the size of the infrared wavelengths and their intensity. The most common are the near, middle, and far infrared sauna treatment. Each treatment level has specific health benefits linked to its use.
- Near infrared level treatment stimulates the circulatory system to provide adequate oxygenation to the cells. This therapy is best for wound healing and for increasing immune function.
- Middle infrared level treatment stimulates blood flow and improves muscle recovery. It lessens pain and inflammation after intensive activities and exercises and is ideal for good circulation and muscle relaxation.
- Far infrared level treatment targets the skin deeper, removing toxins. It is commonly used for detoxification and relaxation purposes.
What’s the best temperature for infrared saunas?
The temperature of the infrared sauna should depend on the targeted benefit. For example, if the goal is maximum healing and detoxification, it is recommended to follow this setup and process:
- 1. Set the temperature control to 130 degrees or above 140 Fahrenheit.
- 2. Enter the sauna at 110 to 115 degrees.
- 3. Open the vent and wait for the temperature to go up to 130.
- 4. Once the temperature is at 130, open the door to reduce the air temperature.
However, in general, the ideal temperature for infrared sauna is between 110 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
How Often Should You Use An Infrared Sauna?
Infrared saunas are safe to use every day. With daily use, wellness benefits and improvements are much likely to show sooner. The existing studies and evidences suggest that 15 minutes infrared sauna use every day is good for the heart and can ease symptoms of chronic pain.
For a fairly healthy individual, it can be used once a day for a maximum of 20 minutes. However, on average, most people use infrared sauna three to four times a week, for 30 to 45 minutes every session. For an effective experience, it is necessary to determine health goals at the start of the program. Inconsistent use of infrared sauna will help; however, if the goal is to achieve long lasting results, regular use is suggested.
Infrared sauna benefits can be achieved when using it anytime of the day. However, some research shows that it is more effective when done first thing in the morning or just right before bedtime. The positive effects found are related to the body being less stressed during these times.
More Tips and Safety Measures
A few reminders before and after using the infrared sauna:
- Shower before sauna. It is not necessary but it is beneficial for a better sauna experience.
- Cotton clothing is recommended for use of public infrared saunas. However, if it is possible for better experience, no clothes is ideal.
- Shower after sauna. This time, it is necessary. This is to wash off the sweat and toxins all over the body.
- Most importantly, hydrate. It is recommended to drink 6-8 glasses of water or more to replenish all the fluid lost and to avoid dehydration.
The infrared sauna can transform the lives of its user with the tremendous health benefits linked to it. So far, studies show no significant health risks with the long-term use of infrared. It is guaranteed safe and it is definitely worth a try. With infrared sauna technology, better health and wellness goals are easier to achieve.