Swimming is the most amazing sport which can be practiced by anyone with minimum effort and maximum advantages. People who swim regularly live a better and healthier life as compares to others, regular swimming helps you in attaining a positive physical and mental stability which helps you in taking better decisions in life. People swim to freshen up their body and for increasing their flexibility; these swimming sports are available for people of all age categories and all genders. Anyone can swim and live a healthy life.
But, in order to stay healthy you have to swim healthy. There are certain things that should be kept in mind when you go for a swimming session, otherwise you can face some serious health issues, one of the common health issues that every regular swimmer faces are the pain and discomfort in the ears. This problem is faced by children and swimmers at a very large scale, this is scientifically known as the “swimmer’s ear”. According to the survey of the United States, there are 2.4 million cases of swimmer’s ear reports at various healthcare centers and clinics. Read more
Swimming ear is medically known as the otitis externa, it basically contains infections related to the outer canal of your ear. People suffering from symptoms like itchiness in the ear with redness & swelling, paining ears when the force is exerted on your ear and in some serious cases pus draining out of ears are clearly suffering from the problem of swimmer’s ear or otitis externa. The sensitivity of the ear is very high in swimmers of small age groups, therefore this problem of pain and uncomfortable otitis externa is quite commonly observed in kids who are regular swimmers. This is becoming a very serious issue for swimmers of all age groups, especially minor swimmers or children.
People have a lot of questions regarding how these swimmer’s ear occur or what are the precautions that can be taken in order to prevent this serious swimming issue. The prime reason which has been revealed after a brief study of these swimmers ear or otitis externa is the accumulation or collection of water in the ear for a long time which is quite common if you are a regular swimmer. When the water stays in your ear for a very long time it initiates the growth of germs and infects your ears skin. The water that is used in your swimming pool is treated with proper disinfectant and chlorine, but still is unable to kill the germs because it’s primarily used or combined with the sweat and human waste in swimming pool water, therefore there are germs in your swimming pool water, which are the major cause of swimmers ear or otitis externa.
Best Earplugs For Swimming
Doctor recommended to:
- Seal out water
- Help prevent swimmers ear
- Provide protection after surgeries
- Help relieve flying discomfort
- Protect hearing from loud noises
- Provides a better, more comfortable fit and seal than custom ear plugs
How do I protect myself and my family?
People who are facing these swimming ear discomforts can consult their doctors and get medicated at the right time for preventing any further damage to the ear. People are usually treated with mild ear drops, which helps to reduce the pain and pus in the outer and inner ear. Some people get confused between swimmers ear and child’s middle ear problem, but there is a huge difference between the two. In child’s middle ear condition, the outer surface of the ear should be wiggled without any discomfort or pain, which is not a possible sign of swimmers ear. This is a serious issue, there are some precautions which can be taken in order to prevent these ear problems and minimize these cases like
- Use a cap that is used while bathing and ear plugs. You can also go for customized swim molds for keeping your ears dry while swimming.
- You can also make use of a towel, bend your head, and pull the earlobe for draining out the water after swimming.
- Never put any sharp materials in your ears like scissors, pencils, swabs and more.
- Never remove earwax from your ears, it protects the ear canal from getting infected.
- In case of ear issues, consult a doctor.
- Before taking any ear medication get your doctors expertise consultancy.
- In case of any pain, drainage or any kind of discomfort in the ear, go to your doctor immediately
- Ask your swimming pool club management for proper chlorination and disinfection of swimming water.
- Voluntarily take test strips for checking the proper chlorine and the pH level of swimming water.
Be smart and take necessary measures for the safety of your health and for the swimmers around you.